ARC is committed to carrying out its operations in a manner that minimizes impacts to the environment.
Our primary focus is on emissions reduction and mitigation through the application of clean technologies, the use of alternate fuel sources and electrification of existing and new facilities. In addition, we strive to reduce overall freshwater use, protect biodiversity, and reclaim sites back to their original state at the end of their productive phase.
With a focus on safe and responsible development, we continually look for ways to employ new technologies and leading environmental practices. For example, ARC monitors and manages induced seismicity with monitoring arrays, engages academic experts to develop best practices, and shares data with government regulators.
- Provide low-carbon energy for the future
- Protect ARC’s water resources – “Secure, Reduce, Recycle”
- Restore land
Key Performance Highlights
- ARC has among the lowest GHG emissions intensity in its peer group
- Achieved ~16% reduction in GHG emissions intensity relative to 2019 baseline
Goals and Targets
- Reduce Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emissions intensity by 20% and absolute emissions by a minimum of 70,000 metric tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent by 2025 through emissions-reduction projects.
- Reduce overall methane emissions intensity by 20% by 2025.
Emissions-reduction targets have been set relative to the combined 2019 emissions profiles for ARC and Seven Generations. The 2019 baseline has also been adjusted to remove emissions associated with ARC’s Pembina asset which was disposed of in the second quarter of 2021 and emitted approximately 165,000 metric tCO2e in 2019.