Canadian Youth Environmental Leadership Scholarship
ARC is pleased to join Cenovus Energy, The Delphi Group, CN and the GLOBE Foundation in supporting the Canadian Youth Environmental Leadership Scholarship. The scholarship contributes to the advancement of new ideas and new ways of thinking when it comes to protecting the environment by supporting students who demonstrate a commitment to leadership and the environment. The scholarship will be awarded to two Canadian students who have completed at least two years of an undergraduate program and who best combine academic achievement with public environmental service.
Each recipient will be awarded $5,000, mentorship and an opportunity for paid summer employment at one of the sponsoring organizations. The deadline to submit the nomination and application form was January 18, 2017. Award recipients will be announced by April 2017.
- Co-founded “EcoQuest”, Quest University’s environmental club that has since launched several waste reduction initiatives.
- Founded the campus Reuse-it Centre to promote landfill waste reduction.
- Founded the campus Beekeeping Club, which aims to educate students about sustainable beekeeping and the impact on our ecosystem. The club planted 1,500 native plants for wild bees and pollinators on campus last year.
- Created the student association “AgroCity” with a focus on local, sustainable food production for use in campus cafeterias. AgroCity built a greenhouse on campus and includes solar panels for power usage.
- Involved with Univert Laval, an organization that aims to create a “sustainable” campus, including activities that “green” the campus, with a focus on water usage and soil degradation.
- Works with the Via-Agroecology Association with a mission to educate universities and students about sustainable agriculture.
- Written several sustainable agriculture articles published in university journals.